In 1950, fired by a passion to see every Texan rejoice in salvation, Reverend D.H. Holley, five Baptist ministers, and nineteen charter members, met in southwest Irving in a hall on Etain Road to begin a new church. They decided to be a New Testament Missionary Baptist Church, joining the Southern Baptist Convention, the Baptist General Convention, and the Dallas Baptist Association. Mrs. Holley pointed out the oak trees surrounding the estate and suggested the name Oak View Baptist Church, which received unanimous approval. That year, the church approved the present location of Story Road as their new home, and soon after built their first sanctuary. As souls were added to the church, two more sanctuaries were built in 1952 and 1956. In 1962, Oak View called Rev. E. W. Campbell as its second pastor. A new two-story educational unit was completed in 1964.
Wallace Philpot became the senior pastor in 1966. Under his leadership, the church experienced growth both spiritually and numerically as he led them through “Faith in Action” and “Here We Grow Again,” which established goals in the areas of evangelism, education, stewardship, Christian life, community and public relations. In 1979, the church called Woody Schober as Minister of Music, a position he held for twenty-seven years. They also began “Together We Build,” which produced a multi-purpose building (the BEC) in 1982 to serve current and future needs of various age groups and ministries. In response to the Great Commission, the church gave to world missions with a portion of the offering going to support foreign missions, home missions, state missions and associational missions.
In 1987, Jim Gerlach was ordained to the gospel ministry, and later served as Youth Minister and Associate Pastor. Jim was instrumental in the Jerusalem Project, designed to reach people within a mile radius of the church who were not being reached by traditional churches. In 1994, various missions were established in local apartment complexes and mobile home parks. Today, 5 of these works meet in various buildings around Irving, reaching Spanish and English speaking people with the Gospel. Oak View also ministers to the physical needs of Irving, donating food, money, and many volunteer hours to the Baptist Benevolent Ministries of Irving. The current worship center was completed in 2001. After Wallace Philpot retired, Jim Gerlach became pastor in February 2005, and has led the church to become a body of believers that is “connecting people to the life-changing love of Christ.” With a vision for the future to reach families and children, the Story-Ward Children’s Center was completed in 2016. The church continues to find ways to see Texans, and the world, rejoice in salvation.